Tooth sensitivity is a problem for a lot of people, but for people who use bleaching kits and other harsh tooth whitening products tooth sensitivity can become a huge problem. Tooth sensitivity that is caused by over bleaching teeth cannot be reversed, because the sensitivity is caused by a loss of tooth enamel. Excessive bleaching with strong whitening gels will wear down the enamel on teeth and leave the pulp of the tooth exposed. When the pulp is exposed the tooth will become extremely sensitive and painful. There is no way to replace tooth enamel once it’s been lost.
How Bleaching Causes Sensitivity
There are two different application methods for teeth whitening gels. One method uses a tray that is filled with whitening gel and put over your teeth. The tray stays on for a certain amount of time and the gel is supposed to remove stains and debris on the teeth to make them whiter. The second method is when a dentist applies a peroxide based gel to your teeth for a cosmetic bleaching. The gel sits on your teeth for about 20 minutes and then the dentist uses a laser to amplify the effect of the gel.
No matter what application method is used that gel is doing more than scrubbing stains off your teeth. It is eating through the enamel of the tooth. As the enamel breaks down and is washed away your teeth will become sensitive because the inner pulp of the tooth is being exposed. The more you bleach, the more pulp is exposed.
Living with Tooth Sensitivity
Even though sensitivity won’t cause any tooth loss it can still make life difficult and painful. Eating and drinking can be painful. Even the weather or allergies can trigger pain in your teeth if the enamel on the teeth has been worn away. You may have to give up some of your favorite foods and drinks if the sensitivity is severe. Living with tooth sensitivity won’t get any easier because the enamel cannot be replaced. Sensitivity is a permanent condition.